- Sharing with neighbors is awesome!
- My fall kale crop, which I started in late summer, is amazing!
- One word: tomatoes.
- Vitamixes are awesome at pureeing the baby beets, stems and greens that I often make into smoothies. Beet smoothies are like raspberry smoothies in disguise.
- Holy cats, Batman! I’ve almost produced 100 pounds of food this year! I live on the little urban farm that could!
Here is what I’m noticing:
- I need to step up my squash game. Summer Squash 2014 challenge accepted, wherein I try and produce the poundage of zucchini and cucumbers I know I’m capable of producing.
- All the single ladies are getting up in their years and it shows in this summer’s egg production. It might be time to add a few new chicks into the mix next spring.
August 2013 – Produce Tally:
Personal Consumption –
Pears – 3.5 lbs (Overhang from my neighbor’s tree! Score!)
Kale – 1 lb 11 oz
Cucumbers – 9 oz
Beets/beet greens – 1 lb
Strawberries – 3 oz
Raspberries – 6 oz
Zucchini – 1/2 lb (Honestly! Not my year!)
Tomatoes – 17 lbs
Carrots – 13 oz
*Culinary lavender – 10 oz
Eggs – 31 (2 dozen plus 7 eggs)
Total produce harvested during the month of August: 26 lbs 4 oz
Total food bank donations for the year: 9 lbs (Just about 10% of what I’ve harvested)
Grand Total for 2013 (as of September 1):
Approximately 92 lbs, 2 oz and just under 27 dozen eggs
Check out the first post in this series here.